Tuesday, September 11, 2007

HW 6: Interest statement for semester-long project

For my semester long research project I'm interested in the following areas. The social computing technologies that I'm most interested in right now are chat rooms, instant messaging, and social networking services. Chat rooms interest me because one of my favorite tv shows is
"To Catch a Predator". Young girls and boys are getting harassed in chat rooms. It is really interesting to me that this is happening. I would really like to look into why this is happening and how. Instant messaging is also related to "To Catch a Predator" however, this topic interests me in a different way. Can IMing be addictive? I find myself constantly going on to check my IM's or to see what my friends are doing. I'm not the only one who does this either both my roommates and my suite mates do the same. At home my younger brother would stay on the computer for hours just sending IMs back and forth to his friends. I'm also interested in social networking services such as facebook and myspace. Facebook is huge right now especially for college students. This networking system is so popular at this point in time.
The kind of empowerment that I'm looking for in marginalized groups and that I'm interested in is, overcoming sexism, overcoming inequities in access to education, and rights and empowerment of people with HIV/AIDS. The sexism issues interests me because I honestly have never encountered any. I would like to hear stories of this and why its happening. Overcoming inequities of education interests me because I'm an education major. Education issues concern me, especially if that's what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life. Empowerment of people with HIV/AIDS interests me because I really don't know much about the topic. I should learn more about it when this is such a huge issue in the world right now.
The geographical areas that interest me the most are the US because that is where I live, and Europe because I think that is an interesting part of the world. All of these topics interest me and I would like to find more information about them.

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

Kate, you have so many good ideas cooking, the only challenge will be narrowing them down to a single topic. I know you have some ideas on this already from peer review.