Wednesday, September 19, 2007

HW 9: Response to Waldman

From the two authors Waldman and Huffington I identified with Waldman more. My Response to Ayelet Waldmans interview:

I chose Waldman because she highlighted on important issues involving women. Ayelet Waldman was such a likable person. While reading her interview I couldn't help but like her, and sympathize with her pain. When Waldman stated that she felt like a bad mother for having sex with her husband I felt so sorry for her. That is a terrible feeling for a mother. By focusing on the aspects of motherhood that she feels are wrong, she overlooks what she is doing right. I really admired Waldman's compassion to reach out to other mothers or people who are facing problems of infertility. She knows that women need a support system, and she is offering them what they need most. Not only does that make her an understanding mother, it makes her a good person and a good friend. Although I agree with Ayelet's decision to stop blogging, I can not completely understand why she would. She was good at it. She knew the issues to write about that would effect people on a deeper, emotional level. I agree that above all she is a writer, and a mother ,and a wife and those are her top priorities but I can only support her decision up to that point. I really thought that her near suicide attempt was inspiring to me, to write and view blogs. The only reason she didn't hurt herself was because someone saved her through reading her blog. That is not something that happens on a normal basis. Waldman needed help and maybe this was the only way she was going to find what she truly needed. I found it easy for myself to identify with this author. She really understood the importance of being a woman. Although I'm not a mother I still can understand the difficulties of being one. I admire the way she blogs, and I find her and her writing topics extremely interesting.

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

Nice post, Kate! Strongly based in the text, but takes a clear position and strikes a nice tone. I think many readers would be influenced to take a positive view of Ayelet Waldman after reading your blog.