Wednesday, October 31, 2007

HW 27: New Insights

Response to Riverbend's Baghdad Burning
Riverbend, Baghdad Burning, Girl Blog from Iraq First Feminist Press Edition, 2005
Ahdaf Soueif, Foreword copyright 005
James Ridgeway Introduction copyright 2005
This book is very intriguing. The world today is full of stereotypes of different ethnicities Americans (and I’m not speaking for everyone) have many negative views about the country of Iraq, and the people that live there. Innocent or part of the problem, if you’re Iraqi you must not be a good person. This book teaches you differently. Just from reading the first 15 pages or so I feel like I have a different view on Americanism and the country of Iraq. Are the really as bad as we make them out to be? How can you not sympathize with Riverbend? She is criticized by people she doesn’t even know thousand and thousands of miles away. This blog book was written by Riverbend. She seems like an amazing blogger, who can really capture you’re interest. This book was written to give, Americans and others from countries around the world a real account of the war in Iraq. Riverbend is trying to get across the popular message “you think you know but you have no idea.” How could you ever say you know what is going on in Iraq? Unless you were in the military and actually stationed over there or an Iraqi citizen and watching your country be pulverized. From reading this book, I feel I will learn to ignore stereotypes about Iraqis and their country. I feel that I can still have respect and support for my own country and the troops that work very hard to defend it. Also keeping in mind that I do not need to have negative feelings toward Iraq. This book could benefit me because I could have an inside view of what did happen there and how a young women felt about the war, and the crisis that did arise. The challenges for me I believe will be the hatred toward the American soldiers. It is hard for me to feel that way (even identify with someone who feels that way) about someone who is risking their own life to protect me and my family. I can never think negatively towards someone who would do that much for me and the others that I care about. This book is going to be an amazing read. I recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about the war in Iraq, and get a first hand account from someone who is actually living it.

No comments: